Wild and Wandering Thoughts of a frizz-laden loon

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy new year!

Well I hope you had one. Mine was dead boring. ...actually, not completely true, I did manage to:

  • Watch Dr Who and Casanova
  • Eat Cheesecake
  • Lie in bed

And even better, I managed to do all three at the same time. Until four in the morning, when I turned off my laptop and retired to bed with my eyes aching, only to be involved in an extremely Doctor Who orientated dream. It was quite fun, actually. Maybe I've been overdoing it a bit.

Anywaaay, I spent the night at home with a boring and grumpy set of parents, while my brother swanned off to a party. After an eternity of telly watching, then DVd watching, midnight struck and I recived my glass of champagne and leaned out of my bedroom window to watch the (rather impressive) fireworks.

And honestly, what is it with people who live around here? Being cheery and good-humoured, I called out to a couple who were going into the house across the road, "Happy new year!" and raised my glass. Their only response was to stare at me. I was only being friendly! Huh.

After that, I tried in vain to call my friends to infuse some good cheer into the evening. I called Tom, Diana, Kat, Tash Home and mobile, and many others. Finally I got through to Seth, and we had a very strange conversation about champagne, with his younger brother Caleb occasionally grabbing the phone and making random comments. Very funny.

Piece of advise: NEVER DRINK CHAMPAGNE. It's absolutely disgusting. I managed about a quarter of a (large) glass before I gave up and donated it to Mum.

So yes, today, yesterday and many other days since Xmas day are going to account for me going blind in the future, I'm sure, because of the constant screen watching. Still, might as well enjoy what I've got. And believe me, I am enjoying it. Very much. I have seen all the Dr Who episodes, some with commentary (which is very funny sometimes; when Rose started running towards her dad, the producer said in this hilarious voice, "WARNING - MAY CAUSE END OF WORLD."

And Casanova...how can I begin to describe Casanova? It is HILARIOUS. Absolutely. But it's really sad, though. I cried at the end; like I did when I saw it many months ago. For those who didn't see it (and I'm not even going to imagine why you didn't), Casanova, despite the constant sexual exploits, falls deeply in love with a lady called Henriette, but he gets arrested by her fiance, and is put in exile.

And it's very sad because they never meet up again. And at the end he dies; and the last scene (the one that made me start blubbering like a baby) is a scene from earlier on, him and Henriette dancing happily in an empty courtyard in Venice.

Also did some nice screencaps:

Hmph, well I did make some. Obviously they can't be transferred. I took some quite hilarious ones.

Anyway, must go.

Thanks for calling me a genius, Lisa!

2 Comments:

  • Rosby, the genius tag stays fixed. It's for keeps. I rewatched Casanova recently and was blubbing through most of last episode (from the letter onwards).

    And I agree that champagne is over-rated...

    oh yeah, HAPPY NEW YEAR (have you obtained Dr Who Xmas yet?)

    By Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg, at 8:53 AM  

  • HEEEEE:::LOO Ros. Happy nu year. New Year Resolution: Post on my blog in the next 5 to 7 working days.

    By Blogger Sophie B, at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home