Wild and Wandering Thoughts of a frizz-laden loon

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Thursday, December 1, 200550 Years Ago Today... From Michael Moore
Friends,

I just thought we should all pause for a moment today to remember the simple act of courage, defiance and dignity committed by Rosa Parks when she refused to move to the back of the bus because the law said she had the wrong skin color. The greatest moments in history, the ones that have truly mattered and have taken us to a better place, are made up of scores of these singular acts by ordinary, everyday people who could no longer tolerate the crap and the
nonsense of those in charge.

Today, whether it is a student who holds a sit-in to get the army recruiters off his campus, or the mother of a dead soldier who refuses to leave the front gate of the president's ranch, we continue to be saved by brave people who risk ridicule and rejection but end up turning huge tides of public opinion in the direction of righteousness. We owe them enormous debts of gratitude. It is not easy to stand up for what is right, especially when everyone else is afraid to
leave the comfortable path of conformity.

Rosa Parks may have been alone on that bus at the moment of her arrest but she wasn't alone for long. The old order was shaken, the world was upended and, as a people, we were given a chance for a bit of redemption.

Perhaps the best way to celebrate this most important day in American history is to ask yourself what it is that you can do today to make a difference. What risk can you take to move the ball forward? What is that one thing you've been wanting to say to your co-workers or classmates that you've been afraid to say -- but in your heart of hearts you know needs to be said? Why wait another day to say it or do it?

There is probably no better way to honor Rosa Parks -- and yourself -- than for you to put a stop to an injustice you see, not allowing it to continue for one more second. Do something. Then send me an email (contributions@michaelmoore.com) and tell all of us what you did (I'll post as many as I can).

Fifty years later, the bus we're on could use a few more people simply saying, "No. I'm sorry. I've had enough. I'm not going to take it anymore."

Yours,
Michael Moore


That comes from Michael Moore's website, which I have added to my links. I just saw Farenheit 9/11 today, and after seeing that, and reading that letter, AND seeing the website, I've realised how much I really don't know. How corrupt and unfair Government is.

And how NOBODY TAKES ANY NOTICE. My friends, you're brilliant, but you don't sit up and take notice. I'll probably get slagged off by saying this, but I'm in a mood where I don't care. When I try and discuss things like this with Tash, Kat, Hannah, Lucy, other people, most of the time they're just not interested. Tash, I've heard her say many times, "Look, it doesn't have anything to do with us, so stop going on about it!"

Well, who cares if it doesn't effect us directly? Does Michael Moore care? Didn't think so. So, asides from all the stuff I usually say, listen: TAKE AN INTEREST. Even though you're only one person, and thousands of miles away from America. Because all those "one person" people who are willing to stand up and take a stand, add them together and you get a hell of a lot of people, and it can spread over countries, spread out and convince more people. Inform them of the truth.

So, basically, don't just sit back. You never know; the UK's Government is probably like that as well. We just don't know, because they won't tell us the whole truth, and it would appear we don't have a British Michael Moore around. Well, not someone who has made as much impact as him.

Click here for the imdb stuff on Farenheit 9/11. And the website is on the link list, on the right >>>>>>>>

And don't make fun of me, right? Because some people do, and they're losers.

5 Comments:

  • You have to take what Michael Moore says with a pinch of salt as much as the next political figure. Don't forget that, just as Bush is a Conservative fanatic, Moore is a Liberal fanatic, and neither is above propaganda and being somewhat "economical with the truth".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 AM  

  • Katherine - Wow; THAT'S a sure sign that you read this post, isn't it?

    Jack - I suppose, but I'm more inclined to believe Michael Moore because he's offered us proof of corruption etc. Bush hasn't.

    By Blogger Rosby, at 7:10 AM  

  • MERRY CHRISTMAS ROS!!!! I apoligise for my absence in blogging of late. I have been busy watching the Xmas Invasion again and again and again, cos I recorded it. I have also been watching all of the repeats from the old series on UKTV Gold and BBC3. Not to mention reading my brand new Doctor Who books (containing Cap Jack!!!) and filling in my new Doctor Who filofax. I have also been browsing through the website like hell. Surely Ros, you cannot deny I am more obssesed than you?

    By Blogger Sophie B, at 7:18 AM  

  • ...for once I have to question my obsession as well. And for god's sake; WHY IS NOBODY (besides Jack) READING THE POST PROPERLY???? It's about liberalism and political freedom and stuff. Take it seriously!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

  • Ros, you deserve much kudos for being interested enough to blog on political/social issues and though I acknowledge that Moore is not without his faults, when someone highlights as many problems as he does and p**** off the people that he does, you know he must be doing something right.

    By Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg, at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home