Wild and Wandering Thoughts of a frizz-laden loon

Monday, May 12, 2008

Oh, bloody brilliant! My vague hope has been confirmed by the Pride London website:

We are delighted that Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London will be addressing the crowds this year. As well as that a host of speakers from all the main political parties and groups will be mixed with the best of today's entertainment.

I cannot wait to tell Lucy this; she's coming along this time, and we're both in the same Politics class, and both pretty vehmently anti-Boris. We've spent a while speculating how exactly Boris would pull off a speech to a three thousand-strong crowd of gay people giving that he's, y'know...Boris. Now that he's been confirmed as appearing, as Ken did last year and has previously done, I can't wait to see him.

I'm by no means certain that he'll screw up in any way; he's the Mayor now, and must be used to the duties that come with the job. I'm just looking forward to seeing the mop-top in person and seeing how he performs. He's got a lot to live up to; Ken was superb last year. There again, his speech was made all the more rousing by the bombs that exploded the previous day; his speech had a real kind of relevance and gravitas behind it because of that.

I wonder who the other politicians will be? I'm guessing that Brian Paddock would be an ideal choice to the organisers, but he hasn't been specifically named. Ken again, perhaps? Whoever they are, I'll be looking forward to paying attention to the political side; Harriet Harman spoke on stage last year, and she was very impressive as well. I suppose she'll wing her way over again...

Anyway, we have Boris. Barrowman hasn't been listed as appearing, which had me a little miffed, but the website claims it's still being updated on guests, and he was only a small part of the experience anyway. I would be the shallowest person in the world if I went along to the march, if I walked through the streets of London with all those people, with all that noise, all that passion, just to see some bloke off the telly. A lot of people who knew I was there thought I was only going to that reason, and it really irritated me. They were quite surprised when I told them why I was actually going...

Incidentally, a lot of people have been asking me if I'm really bisexual at the moment. With emphasis on the word "really". I don't understand; I never really came out, so to speak (a boy in my yeargroup who I've never really seen eye to eye with took it upon himself to do that for me while I was still dealing with the fact myself - lovely man), but...do people think that it's a joke? That I'm not serious? Or, worse than that, that it's just a phase? I hate that phrase with all my being; it's not a bloody phase; it exists, it's what I am, and I'm proud of what I am. Hence the Pride march. I also have people asking me very intimate questions about it, as well; how I know, and how it works, and whether I've done anything about it. I just...GRRR. I know that, statistically, only one in ten people is gay, but it's not a novelty, people, stop asking me about it! Would you go up to a straight person you didn't know very well and start bugging them relentlessly about their way of living? No? Didn't think so. Yet with a bisexual or homosexual person, nothing's wrong with a little interrogation.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I hate the reactions I get from certain people, and how it's talked about in ever so hushed tones. Again, that's why I want to keep going to these marches; to make as much noise as I can with thousands of others. To be heard, to not keep it under wraps.

Anyway, I digress slightly.

No John Barrowman so far, but...

WE HAVE SIR IAN!!!

Seriously. Ian McKellen! I love him! He is a fantastic actor and has incredible class. He's presenting part of the music show; can't wait to see him!

The whole event sounds fantastic again, and I can't wait for July! Tara wants to come this year, as well, which will tally up to four people; me, Emma, Tara and Lucy. Actually, come to think of it, that's an interesting mix we have; me and Emma are bisexual, Lucy is gay, and Tara is straight. Well, she thinks of herself as asexual, but she does have a boyfriend, called Alex. It's complicated, I think. We had a very long discussion about it on the train after the Night of Barrowman. Anyway, we'll make a varied, and squealing, group.

Eee, I can't wait! I'm using July 5th as my looking-forward-to point during my exams and work experience. I just hope I can get the day off work. I probably should if I swap with somebody. And if July 5th is as glorious as it is at the moment, it'll be wonderful! Last year it was pissing it down ALL DAY, which was one of the reasons me and Emma didn't go and talk to Barrowman; we were both soaked to the skin and wearing unfetching raincoats. Plus, I think our hearts had stopped with surprise. Unexpected Barrowman inspires a surprisingly physical reaction, as mentioned in the Night of Barrowman.

Right, had better go. Roll on Pride London! Hurrah!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hey Ros :P

    Boris is going to be at Pride?? Intriguing... And Sir Ian too!! Woot!

    I agree with your rant about people always asking about how being bi/gay works - just because a person is different doesn't mean they are happy to be interrogated on the subject. I always think it's unfair how people kinda react like (in the words of the mighty Dara O'Briain) "Show us the weird thing!" to anyone who isn't the stereotypical view of 'normal'.

    See? You made me do my own little rant now XD *runs off to get blog of her own so she can do this legitimately*

    And, just to clarify, I see myself as a predominately male-oriented asexual. That means that I get attracted to men emotionally, but do not want a physical relationship with them. I'm a very complicated person like that. :D

    Love and hugs. xxxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 AM  

  • I think being bisexual is a much more honest identity, though the extent to which people act on it (admiration, lust, sexual activity) may vary a lot. How much you act on it, now or in the future, is entirely up to you -- as is how much you shout about it.

    It's other people's assumptions (and them taking it up themselves to broadcast their questions/comments) that causes far more trouble.

    Enjoy Pride: hope you have better weather for booing the Boris....

    By Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg, at 3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home