Wild and Wandering Thoughts of a frizz-laden loon

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

As I may have mentioned, this year in English we're studying The Wife of Bath from The Canterbury Tales. We haven't really started yet; we're doing some background work on the events of the time, like the Black Death, and John Wyclif and his contribution to the Reformation, etc. Today, though, Ms Reid gave us copies of the prologue to the tales. I've flicked through, and...what?

No, seriously. WHAT?

I knew how it was written, but dear Lord, I thought that I'd have SOME clue of the meaning, just by looking at it. It looks like a bizarre mixture of English, French, and Swedish, and I can't fathom it out at all. And I thought Pride and Prejudice was difficult; this is going to stretch my brain somewhat. Can't wait until we start studying it properly.

Joe's off to Glastonbury tomorrow. He will be where Amy Winehouse is, whilst I won't be. I've never been more jealous of him in my life.

Still soldiering on through War and Peace; I'm on page 403 now, but I'm saving it for the eleven hour plane journey to China next month. I figured it will eat up a large chunk of time. I love it; seeing the play was fantastic, so it's incredibly interesting to see the proper backstory to all the characters I fell in love with, as well as others who weren't included on the stage. Still, certain parts feel a little off; possibly the translation. Nevertheless, I like it.

Also, I have fallen head over heels in love with Billie Holiday, and have been listening to Blue Moon and God Bless the Child for several days. GAGH. How did I not listen to her before now? She is sensational, and I can understand the influence she had on Amy Winehouse; both on the music, and the reckless pattern of her life.

Mama may have, Papa may have, but God bless the child who's got his own...

Pride London soon! Still not fully arranged, but significant movements have been made and it should be finalised within the next few days. Mr Barrowman is in Canada at the moment, so he will be absent, but I really don't care. Just to be part of it, to be members of that crowd; it'll be sensational. Better dig out my Pride whistle!

Right.

Is it time for Doctor Who yet?

It's only Tuesday? Really? Damn it.

*retreats back into cave and waits*

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • Rosby, I studied the Wyfe of Bathe for A Level too, and can remember just such a reaction. Middle English is a bit tricky till you get the hang of it, but it's also worth perservering, and the Wife is a great character. You also get to learn fantastic words like swynken and swiven (which is what she makes her three old husbands do... ie shags them to death so she gets their money). Have you seen any of the modern Chaucers that the Beeb put on a couple of years back - from memory I think Julie Walters did a fine modern Wife. And Billie Piper put in a wonderful turn in the Miller's Tale which was the first time I realised she could act.

    Chaucer is fab, but you have to work a bit harder to find the fab bits. With any luck your English teacher is a bit more dynamic then mine, who nearly killed Chaucer stone dead for me. Luckily I rediscovered him at university and found out how funny he can be.

    PS If you think Chaucer is dull, you should try The Vision of Piers Plowman. Now THAT is hard work!!

    I'm counting the days down till Saturday too...

    By Blogger Jane Henry, at 1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home