Wild and Wandering Thoughts of a frizz-laden loon

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Have you ever read a book which makes you feel like you can't trust what you supposedly know?

I've just finished reading Ben Elton's High Society, and it has changed my perspective on *everything*. The plot's a bit complicated (there are multiple plots that are all interlinked), but basically it's about British society being fuelled by drugs. It's about hypocritical politicians who take drugs and lie. It's about popstars who take drugs because they can't get any higher than they are. It's about crack whores in London, and teenagers, and corrupt policemen, and journalists snorting coke at the Groucho Club. Long story.

And, if it has any truth in it, it shows a massive insight into the lives of celebrities and what they do in private. And it got me thinking very hard...can we trust the ones we admire?

I mean, think of Jake Gyllenhaal. He's a major star in the Hollywood circuit (and ever since Brokeback Mountain he's been catapulted into BIG fame), he must be incredibly rich, and gorgeous etc, he probably has his own "people" and a large amount of pull; therefore he wouldn't be averse to drugs, like so many other stars wouldn't be. I don't know that, but that's what I'm guessing. And ever since reading that book, I don't know if I can trust him. Not that I trusted him already, because I didn't even know him, but you know what I mean.

Do you think he does that kind of thing? I just hate the thought of him doing it. And I know he might not, and that tons of others must do that, but it's scary knowing that a person you admire and like could be embroiled in something horrible like that.

Could be. Because we'd never know. Am I the only one who finds that frightening?

I love Ben Elton's writing because of the way he throws everything into the spotlight; truths we never knew; about drug use, and how whether it be up with the toffs or down with the "chavs", drugs like cocaine and heroin have horrible and disgusting consequences that we'd *never* known or considered. And while you may think that the users are breathtakingly stupid, you just feel so sorry for them; they're stuck in a cycle they can't get out of.

It sort of reminded me of that twelve year old girl who has just given birth; I was reading about it in a magazine today. On the one hand, you have to be sympathetic because it's clear she comes from a very dodgy background, but on the other hand, she seems to have no inkling of the consequences of her actions. I mean, I don't get it; where did that ridiculous rumour come from, that you don't get pregnant on your first time?

And now she's twelve and she's a mother. When I was twelve I was in my first year at Pate's and still played with my friends outside. Really puts things into sharp perspective, doesn't it?

Poor girl. She has so much potential, and I mean that. Almost everyone (this is my opinion - probably isn't true, but there you go) has the potential to succeed, no matter where they come from. All you need is to work hard and you need to know that you can do it. I mean, there are plenty of times that I've lacked that, but I haven't just given up completely. Giving up gets you nowhere and you'll end up like that girl without a name.

Anyway, should go now. Sorry I sound like an idiot; just feeling very different after reading that book.

Rosby out.

5 Comments:

  • Seee, High Society the book seems like a very thought-provoking complicated novel which has hidden meanings, whereas High Society the film is a badly acted musical with Frank Sinatra in it and some very catchy songs.
    Huh.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:30 PM  

  • hey ros
    just read ur blog.
    just remember that although Ben Elton is writing about things that actually do happen - what he is writing is fiction. It is a condensed form of real life. There is no reason u shouldn't trust people like Jake Gyllenhall - I always work by never judging people before u know them. Even crack-whores have feelings. Just don't feel like the whole world is against u and that it is a horrible place. It can be - but remember that there are a lots of wonderful things as well. U will feel so much better for it.
    i xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:33 AM  

  • wow Ros that was a really deep post - well done.
    By the way, have you heard that the girl you were talking about (the one who got pregnant) got arrested a few days ago, I think it might have been for being drunk and disordly, or possibly for diturbing the peace, or something like that.
    I think anna's right. Even thought the world can be horrible, just think about the good things as well and you will feel a lot better.
    See you soon!

    By Blogger Megan, at 6:24 AM  

  • lighten up ros

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:32 AM  

  • OMG ROS! I POSTED ON MY BLOG!!!!

    By Blogger Sophie B, at 3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home