Wild and Wandering Thoughts of a frizz-laden loon

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Well, Durham doesn't want me, it turns out.

I can't say I'm not disappointed; I absolutely loved it there and was hoping for an offer, even if it was a high one. I knew rejection was a possibility, but I was still hoping for it not to happen.

As it stands:

York - AAB
Warwick - AAB, plus extra B at AS. (Impossible, basically, as I got two As and two Cs at AS level.)
Lancaster - ABB
Cardiff - AAB

Now that I have my four, my two favourites are York and Cardiff (I went to Cardiff for the first time yesterday, and completely fell in love with it without really realising it. Although I've loved all the unis I've visited, Cardiff has been the first one to make me feel truly excited about becoming a university student. It's incredible!), but I can't really choose both York and Cardiff, as they're both offering me the same.

Hmm.

So, if something goes balls-up at exam time and I don't get the right grades, I won't get into either of them. And, if I do get the right grades, I'd still have to choose between them.

The way it's going, I'll either choose York and Lancaster, or Cardiff and Lancaster. It's odd; a week ago I'd never have imagined choosing Cardiff and Lancaster; they were the last two on preference list, after all! (This was before I'd visited Cardiff, of course.)

I'm waiting until I visit York again next month, then I can start thinking it through seriously. I'm dithering at the moment.

Goodbye, Durham! It was nice knowing you. And I'm very glad I know about it now rather than having to wait for months. I've got four offers to work with. I'm lucky.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Shame about Durham.

    Just as a matter of thoughts, what appeals about Lancaster? I've been up to the Uni of Central Lancashire in Preston (which is at least vaguely close to a town/city centre) but isn't Lancaster a bit away from other activities?

    I may be very wrong (sorry if I'm doing a diservice to the place). I DO know that Lancaster has some very good people; I'm just always wary of the broader experience of being away at University and interacting beyond the student environment...

    Anyway, Cardiff is great (let's hope they keep recommissioning Torchwood there eh?!) - it's a vibrant place and the Bay is amazing.

    Hope your choices go well. And we're rooting for you!

    By Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg, at 5:42 AM  

  • Hey Rosby, if it's any consolation, I ended up at my third choice of uni, neither of my first two giving me the option of attending their fair cities. I was stuck between Liverpool, Leeds and Lancaster, and I ended up on a gut. Like you with Cardiff, I fell in love with Liverpool and I never looked back. I'm a great believer in thinks working out for a reason. And surely you can't turn Cardiff down, now can you???? Best of luck with it all, I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up and four offers is great. (I am trying very hard not to be jealous every time I read one of your posts about going to uni. I can't say that I'm quite succeeding !)

    By Blogger Jane Henry, at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home